This post involves the research and development of new products for all of the four business units of our client, namely, Traffic, Parking, Headcount and Identipark. The job will involve developing products from initial concept through to a fully qualified, robust prototype using sound engineering principles. All products developed will be competing in international markets and, therefore, need to be of the highest quality standard. Interfacing with the client's production facility will be required to facilitate prototype builds, product testing and final handover of the prototypes for Industrialisation.
Functions of the Job
The purpose will be achieved through the following functions:
- Design of electronic products from concept, technology research, full technical product specification, design of schematic and PCB using Altium Designer, design of firmware - right through to a fully qualified, robust prototype.
- Walking the product through the production facility during the first-off prototype builds.
- Full spectrum bench-testing and verification, environmental verification and Electromagnetic Compliance verification.
- Liaising with the Industrial Engineering Department to get the product fully industrialised.
- Training of Engineering Services and Test and Repairs Departments to be able to support the final product.
- Product Documentation on Specifications, Manuals, Changes etc.
- Firmware Development for Microcontrollers – generally done in C.
- Occasional PC Software development for testing purposes - these will generally be done in C / C++ / Visual Basic /Java/TCL.
- Liaising with the Software developers to integrate components into complete systems.
- Designing with DSP’s, ARM Processors, 8051 based Micro’s, PICs, Motorola Micros and FPGA’s.
The Hardware Development Engineer will report to the Hardware Development Manager.
His/her interpersonal roles within the organisation will be:
Requirements of the Candidate
- To liaise with the Sales and Marketing departments
- To liaise with Industrial Engineering staff
- To liaise with Engineering Services Staff
- To liaise with Planning and Production Staff
- Minimum BSc Degree in Electronic Engineering
- 3 to 4 years working experience in an electronics manufacturing environment
- Solid Hardware (electronics) experience in Analogue and Digital Design. This involves Schematic and PCB design.
- Solid Firmware development experience with Embedded Systems and C.
- Experience in Compliance Testing for Certifications of Product.
- Ability to write or modify PC Based Software in Visual Software Suites.
- Ability to plan a project accurately given a complete specification.
- CPLD, FPGA Design experience would be a plus
- DSP experience would be a plus.
- Ability to impart knowledge of product and train Industrial Engineering, Engineering Services, Test and Repairs Departments at handover.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with departments within the company.
- An eagerness to embrace change and previously unused technologies.
- A responsible, self motivated individual driven to meet deadlines.
- A meticulous individual with significant attention to detail.